Welcome to the site
Penallt (also spelled Penalt) is a village standing on the high ground south of Monmouth, above the west bank of the River Wye in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The name can be translated from the Welsh as head or top of the (wooded) hill and, even though much of the land is now agricultural, this still seems appropriate when looking up from the river.
The village (map showing boundary) boasts some 200 houses, two pubs (one being a recent AA Welsh pub of the year), a fine village hall (Pelham Hall) with its tennis and cricket clubs, and has recently brought high speed broadband to most of the district.
This website, amongst other things, aims to provide information about the village, its history and its community and to act as a notice board for the wide variety of events held within its boundary. Details of how to use the website may be found here. Find out what means here too!
- Thu 7th August: WI - Walk and pub supper
- Sun 10th August: Classic Car and Bike Show
- Wed 13th August: Coffee morning at Pelham Hall
- Mon 25th August: Treasure Island at Babington Meadow
- Thu 4th September: WI - Travels in Myanmar
- 24-28 September: Penallt Art Festival 2014
- Thu 2nd October: WI - A Wine Tasting
- Thu 7th November: WI - Talk and Wildlife Film
- Thu 4th December: WI - Christmas meal
of Penallt is hosting a major autumn art event ...
- Police reappeal for information on missing Caldicot prisoner 30/07/2014 13:58
- Mayor attends St John youth awards evening 30/07/2014 10:49
- Station has a hoot at open day 30/07/2014 10:47
- Monmouth festival comes to town 30/07/2014 10:39
- Womans body found in river at Skenfrith 30/07/2014 10:33
- Lone Lane is now open 21/07/2014but dangerous trees threaten re-closure
- 65 bus timetable changes on Monday 21st July 19/07/2014Further details available
- Lone Lane landslip - latest news 18/07/2014Road now open!
- Penallt War Memorial latest 17/07/2014Work has now started but donations are still required
- Inn at Penallt earns second AA rosette 17/07/2014great reward for four years hard work
- Art in Penallt: Jill Bourchier 31/07/2014 13:55
- Art in Penallt: Ros Price-Jones 31/07/2014 10:07
- Art in Penallt: Artists 31/07/2014 10:04
- Committee: Committee Home 26/07/2014 11:14
- Events: Wed 13th August: Coffee morning at Pelham Hall 25/07/2014 23:01