Welcome to the site
Penallt (also spelled Penalt) is a village standing on the high ground south of Monmouth, above the west bank of the River Wye in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The name can be translated from the Welsh as head or top of the (wooded) hill and, even though much of the land is now agricultural, this still seems appropriate when looking up from the river.
The village boasts some 200 houses, two pubs (one being a recent AA Welsh pub of the year), a fine village hall (Pelham Hall) with its tennis and cricket clubs, and has recently brought high speed broadband to most of the parish.
This website, amongst other things, aims to provide information about the village, its history and its community and to act as a notice board for the wide variety of events held within its boundary. Details of how to use the website may be found here. Find out what means here too!
Out and about around Penallt - see village video record here.
- Sat 15th March: Wales vs Scotland live at Pelham Hall
- Fri 28th March: Quiz and supper night at Pelham Hall
- Thu 3rd April: WI - Forest of Dean from Canute to Elizabeth II
- Thu 1st May: WI - AGM
- Thu 5th June: WI - CADW custodian at Chepstow Castle
- Thu 3rd July: WI - Topaz Tribal Dance
- Thu 7th August: WI - Walk and pub supper
- Mon 25th August: Treasure Island at Babington Meadow
- Thu 4th September: WI - Travels in Myanmar
- Thu 2nd October: WI - A Wine Tasting
- Woman rescued from ditch after after fall from horse 07/03/2014 03:12
- Body found in River Wye 07/03/2014 12:00
- Gibralter Village steps back into 1940s 26/02/2014 11:37
- Making a splash at the Shire Hall 26/02/2014 11:34
- Debris moved from River Wye, but Monnow still a problem 26/02/2014 11:30
- Lone Lane now cleared but remains closed 08/03/2014Latest news on progress
- February 2014 weather data 01/03/2014Continuing mild and exceptionally wet
- News from Humble by Nature farm 27/02/2014Forthcoming events - March to June; new aquaponics system
- Dangerous branches in Glyn Road 26/02/2014New owner of Pen-y-Graig wood announces remedial plans
- Art in Penallt 2014 23/02/2014Provisional plans now announced
- Recent News: Lone Lane now cleared but remains closed 08/03/2014 10:00
- Events: Fri 28th March: Quiz and supper night at Pelham Hall 07/03/2014 13:40
- Pelham Village Hall: Pelham Hall feedback survey - February 2014 06/03/2014 17:45
- Penallt Home: February 2014 weather data 01/03/2014 10:25