Welcome to the site
Penallt (also spelled Penalt) is a village standing on the high ground south of Monmouth, above the west bank of the River Wye in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The name can be translated from the Welsh as head or top of the (wooded) hill and, even though much of the land is now agricultural, this still seems appropriate when looking up from the river.
The village (map showing boundary) boasts some 200 houses (maps showing houses), two pubs (one being a recent AA Welsh pub of the year), a fine village hall (Pelham Hall) with its tennis and cricket clubs, a farm shop and café and has recently brought high speed broadband to most of the district.
This website, amongst other things, aims to provide information about the village, its history and its community and to act as a notice board for the wide variety of events held within its boundary. Details of how to use the website may be found here. Find out what means here too!
- Thu 2nd April: WI - Travels in Canada
- Sun 5th April: Easter Egg hunt - Babington Meadow
- Sat 11th April: Film Night - Believe
- Mon 13th April: Wash Tub lunch at Pelham Hall
- Wed 15th April: Coffee morning at Pelham Hall
- Sat 18th April: Cricket Club Annual Bash at Pelham Hall
- Mon 20th April: Book Signing in Pelham Hall
- Fri 24th April: Burning Issues - Pre-election hustings
- Sat 25th April: Feliks Jazz Concert in Pelham Hall
- Fri 1st May: Race Night at Pelham Hall
- Draft minutes for March TUCC meeting now publishedTUCC minutes and agendas are now regularly available23/03/2015
- Kim Kimber 1921 - 2015Eulogy and photographs now published21/03/2015
- History Society goes high tech!Lidar survey gives fascinating insights into Penallt's landscape21/03/2015
- Eclipse visible in Penallt for first time in 15 yearsBlue skies allow superb views throughout20/03/2015
- Dangerous branches in Glyn Road - updateRemedial work starting Thu 12th March; some inconvenience possible08/03/2015
- WI: Thu 7th May: WI - AGM & Penallt charities talk25/03/2015 12:35
- Recent News: Kim Kimber 1921 - 201524/03/2015 16:16
- Community Council: Draft minutes for March TUCC meeting now published23/03/2015 13:48
- History Society: History Society goes high tech!23/03/2015 13:45
- Recent News: Eclipse visible in Penallt for first time in 15 years22/03/2015 23:47