Recently there have been a number of shed and garage breaks in our communities. Residents are reminded to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity or incidents to the police by calling 01633 838111 or 101.
Below are some handy hints and tips to deter thieves:
- Always lock windows and doors.
- Consider fitting an outside light.
- Fit an alarm to deter thieves.
- Fit a good lock, bolted through the door and reinforced at the back with a steel plate. The hasp and hinges should have concealed or tamper proof screws.
- Use a ‘closed shackle’ padlock, made of hardened steel and at least 2.5 inches in width, with no less than five pins. (BS EN 12320:2001)
- Windows in sheds/garages should be covered with curtains, a sheet or boarding to avoid thieves seeing your valuables.
- If going away on holiday, consider moving items of high value inside your house.
For more tips on keeping your shed and garden secure, please visit our website.