Penallt's 5th Classic Car Show (and Bikes)
Sunday August the 8th 2010
at the Penallt Cricket Ground
Review by Andy Sherwill The Village News
A BIGGER array of pristine vehicles than ever before shone in the bright sunshine for Penallt's Classic Car and Bike Show.
The biennial event attracted around 150 classic cars and motor bikes gracing the village's cricket pitch. Many of the vehicles owners explained that they acquired their vehicle in bits and rebuilt them while others have lovingly cherished their motoring machines for a lifetime.
John Meadows, from Tregagle, acquired his Frisky when a friend offered it to him when he emigrated in 1978, but the vehicle was not roadworthy and was contained inside three tea chests. Over the years he has rebuilt the three-wheeled vehicle, which only has a 325cc engine.
John is the grandson of Henry Meadows, the man who founded the Frisky car company which built around 1,250 models between 1958 and 1961 in response to the fashionable bubble car.
The oldest vehicle in the show belonged to Alan Sutton from Lydart who explained that his 1915 Grant was discovered in an American scrap yard over three decades ago. He revealed that it arrived in this country complete with bullet hole in the windscreen. Mr Sutton added that it took him two years to get the vehicle started and a life time to restore it.
Organiser John Tudgay said: "It's been a well attended event in both exhibitors and the amount of visitors. We are always amazed at the quality and range of vehicles on display and the amount of effort that owners take to get their vehicles back on the road. Its always interesting to hear tales of how these pristine cars were once unloved and how they have been given a new lease of life."